Friday, April 17, 2009

Week 13

In the First Year Residential Program I believe there could be many changes to significantly improve the program. The position that I am working in requires leadership, guidance, and communication with first year residents. In regards to that, the first improvement I would make in our program is our communication working with our community assistants on campus in regards to helping these first year residents. When we are selected we are placed in a residential community in the same building with a community assistant. There is not much communication with these community assistants so that would be the first change. I also believe that placing us right next to a community assistant in a residential community could benefit the program by working as a team. Looking back at various problem solving strategies I have came across during my college years there are a few that come to mind that could benefit the First Year Residential Program. I would use icebreakers to help first year residents get to know each other early in the year so that they can network and start building lasting friendships and bonds amongst each other. When you are placed in a residential community all first year residents have their wall up. A second strategy I could use to help them break through that wall is having them participate in some type of athletic event. Whether that event is competitive or recreational I believe it is a good way to break the ice. A third strategy is assisting them in forming study groups. This way they would not only get to know each other but it would put them in a position of improving their academics which is ideal. If I created a plan where I could benefit the first year resident to help them make the transition from high school to college life at Arizona State University I would want to schedule one on one meetings with each and every one of them monthly. I can remember when I was a freshman. I was at a new school with no friends, no connections, and no mentor to look up to but I could have really benefited from one. If I was able to meet with my residents once per month I could assist them academically, socially, and mentally to feel more comfortable in their living community and in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Joseph,
    My name is Norene Green, and my concentration area is Organizational Studies. I think you have made some really solid observations about the need to integrate first-year students into the university experience and what could be done to improve the process. It is not unlike the process of integrating new employees or members into other organizations. You want them to identify with the organization and reach a comfortable level of acclimation. Otherwise, a feeling of alienation may interfere with their success.

    In your post, you identify multiple “organizations” to which you are trying to integrate these students: (1) the university, (2) their living community, and (3) the world away-from-home. That represents three distinct social structures, each with a unique culture and set of expectations. The role you are playing bridges all these and hopefully results in a positive, total experience. YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING IMPORTANT for these students.

    One of the insights I have gained from past experience is that when you are devising ways to accomplish integration, keep it as “normal and natural” as possible. Activities that are too contrived are not as effective.

    You seem extraordinarily willing to be “available” to these first-year students. That is commendable. I would also encourage you to set reasonable boundaries. You also need time to be successful at university.
    Best wishes - Norene

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some very good ideas to help break the ice for first year students. I think that a sports game is a great idea, but it makes me think about those who are not athletically inclined. What kind of sport would you use encourage these students to participate? I think your third plan is great: assisting in developing study groups. I think this is so important for new students because it will let them be able to not only study, but potentially connect on a more personal level. As for your first suggestion, what kind of icebreakers would you use to get first year residents to connect? I think what you’re doing is great because it is so important to make meaningful social connections with people in the first year because they likelihood of these students continuing their education (especially those who are from another state) there is greater if they make significant relationships. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete